I built these for my second sculpture project which was all about activating the most amount of space with the least amount of means. They were installed at two points on campus, one being in the main plaza and the other being across the street inside the main building. The two huts were placed approximately 523 feet apart because I am approximately 523 miles from home (Edgewood, Kentucky) while in Baltimore. My goal was to activate space on three levels: physically, psychologically, and culturally/ historically. Physically the space is activated between the huts because they are facing each other, filling the space with a new energy. Psychologically I'm activating the space between myself and my home and addressing the separation issues I've faced moving away from home. The yarn in the hut inside is reminiscent of the heart outside as if my heart strings have been pulled until breaking point. Culturally and Historically the space is activated because the journey from outside, across the street, to inside the grand marble building is a metaphor for humanity's progression and technological development.
Monday, January 4, 2010
Home Huts
I built these for my second sculpture project which was all about activating the most amount of space with the least amount of means. They were installed at two points on campus, one being in the main plaza and the other being across the street inside the main building. The two huts were placed approximately 523 feet apart because I am approximately 523 miles from home (Edgewood, Kentucky) while in Baltimore. My goal was to activate space on three levels: physically, psychologically, and culturally/ historically. Physically the space is activated between the huts because they are facing each other, filling the space with a new energy. Psychologically I'm activating the space between myself and my home and addressing the separation issues I've faced moving away from home. The yarn in the hut inside is reminiscent of the heart outside as if my heart strings have been pulled until breaking point. Culturally and Historically the space is activated because the journey from outside, across the street, to inside the grand marble building is a metaphor for humanity's progression and technological development.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment