The final assignment for my Sculpture class was to accept the responsibility for failing to make an impossibility possible. The impossibility I chose was time travel and after much thought I decided that maybe in the phrase "traveling through time"
through is the key word. Therefore I built a tunnel large enough to walk through that would transform the space around a person and make them feel more aware of their body in relation to time and space. The tunnel, constructed out of a frame work of metal piping and fabric can expand and contract like time in the case of black holes and time travel in that sense. Once the tunnel was built I chose to collect three specific memories from everyone I could because memories are not possible without the passage of time and just as time affects us we affect time. I asked them to write down the first thing they could ever remember, something that had caused either physical or emotional scarring in their life, and an epiphany moment or realization they have had. I then pinned all of the memories up in a progressive manner inside the tunnel along with pictures of my memories that become blown up scars, and bruises, then wrinkles of wisdom. As you near the end of the tunnel the paper pieces become thicker and overwhelming surpassing the edge and carrying over to fill the back wall. The paper pieces are blank for the memories yet to come and an image of a giant moth is place dead center. The moth is a metaphor for the metamorphosis we go through as we grow and travel through time. The moth is also the Navajo symbol for insanity and as we go through life our sanity is tested on many levels.



No comments:
Post a Comment